Thursday, May 10, 2007

i AM the ugly face

Others had wondered it, some had questioned it, but today I realized it for myself. I - AM- the ugly face (see previous post from 4.30.07 for explanation).

Mary had woken up from her nap so I went to go grab her. She was crying and fussing and a good look in the mirror always makes her smile (conceited much?). She just thinks it's so funny to see herself.

So over to the mirror we went. We made faces. We pointed. We laughed. And then, I saw it.

Here we were - mother and daughter but not by blood - making the EXACT same face as we giggled. Both of us scrunching up our nose and showing our big top gums as we laughed at something silly. Both of us making 'the ugly face.'

Nature vs. nurture...who knows?

All I can say is at that moment I felt a different type of closeness with her. One like I've never felt before.

5 comments:

NationalParkMama said...

That's very special. There are many things that are similar about my parents and I and even my brother. I am a firm believer that nurture makes up a good portion of who you are, just as much as nature.

Anonymous said...

A little story for you not related to your post but I wanted to share it anyways since you don't return my phone calls ;oP

Mattie (aka the flying john deer) was walking around carrying a picture the other day. I asked her what it was and she said "It's a picture of my baby Mary- it's not YOUR picture, it's MY picture" Sure enough she had one of the wallets of Baby Mary in her chubby little hand. She proceded to put "baby Mary" in the crib with baby tuna (her doll- like the name?) and sing them both to sleep. (Well, warble to them exceedingly off key, but we'll call it singing.)

*We miss **you.

*"WE" being all of us
**"YOU" being all of you 'n yours

I NEED TO SEE THOSE "UGLY" FACES ONCE MORE BEFORE I LEAVE FOREVER!

Anonymous said...

You are ugly...just kidding. What a sweet moment for you. Mary was meant to be your daughter for sure:) Can't wait to see you next week. Love you, Rachel

Anonymous said...

How funny! But wait a minute...you posted Mary's "ugly" face picture, where's yours?! Love you, Lisa.

Cherie said...

Your story gave me goosebumps! ;) SO special!!