Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The best mother's day present....ever

Before I begin this post, I want to give a shout out to my wonderful hubby Kurt. He's so thoughtful, caring, affectionate and he's madly in love with me and our daughter. He was so sweet to me on Mother's Day and woke me with a sweet card and a beautiful necklace. But that wasn't the best mother's day present I received.

The best mother's day present came two days later on Tuesday at about noon. It came right in the middle of feeding Mary lunch. The doorbell rang and by the time I got to the door, I could see the postwoman driving away. Looking down at my feet I noticed the package she left behind. Excitedly, I picked it up....I love getting packages. But then I saw who it was from...and I went numb.

The package was from Mary's birthmother, Shawna. A woman I've thought about every single day since we last saw her on May 25th, 2006 (the day we were placed with Mary). A woman who I feared we would never hear from again.

We sent letters every month to Bethany for her to pick up but she never retrieved them. We hoped, we prayed, we wished that she might reach out to us. And finally, two months ago...we broke the rules.

I found Shawna's address on a piece of paperwork given to us at placement. I knew what I had to do. I wrote her a letter and begged her to send a picture and some words for Mary. I wanted to let her know how much we value her role in Mary's life...how important she was. "Please...please...write us back."

Then nothing happened. For two...whole...months. I gave up. I became frustrated. I was even...inapropriately...angry.

Then last Tuesday the answer to my prayers happened. Words can't describe the joy I felt on realizing who the package was from. "MARY!!!" I screamed, "It's from your birthmom!"

I ran back to the highchair and sobbed as I read though the letters inside. Letters to me, to Kurt, to Mary. She included the hospital bracelets belonging to both her and Mary. She even put together a photo album with Mary's birth story. Pictures from before we even met Mary (at the hospital, etc.). There were even pictures of Shawna as a baby and growing up. Man she looked like Mary. It's unreal how much the look alike.

I cried such fat tears. Tears of joy for reconnecting with this woman who is so important to my daughter. Tears of sorrow at her pain and love for Mary. Bittersweet tears at the sad joy that is adoption.

Through my tears I looked up at my sweet baby girl. In perfect timing, she cocked her head sideways and softly muttered, "mom."

Oh yes, babygirl. This was from your mom.

Since then we've sent Shawna a package and also received another letter and a birthday card for Mary. In her letter she was so sweet to write, "tammy I was thinking of you on Mother's day...hoping that your first was good." Wow. Talk about being humbled. She was thinking of me?!?!?

No. On Mother's day I was thinking of her. I was sitting in a church holding my daughter on my lap and praying that God would keep this woman in His watch and maybe....MAYBE....move her heart to be able to reach out and connect with us.

God must have been smiling a knowing smile at that moment. The package was alreadyin the mail.

Yes indeed, the best mother's day gift ever.

4 comments:

NationalParkMama said...

I am SO happy for Mary and for you. Ah, that is just wonderful. And for Kurt, what a wonderful man he is. God bless all of you! You are the kind of family we hope to be someday.

Anonymous said...

Tam- Your blog is amazing- it brought tears to my eyes and I have already heard this story. What a precious gift for Mary and for you!!! God is good. Love you all, Rachel

ABG said...

Tammy, wow. I was sitting around after school yesterday and pulled this up as I was waiting for some students. Hooray. I'm so so so glad for you and most of all for Mary. What a gift it is for our kids' birthparents to become part of our extended families. Blessings, Ali

MrsJoens said...

Tamaroa!

This story made me tear up! What an amazing gift to you, Kurt, and Mary.
You should write a novel about this whole process...I'm serious! I know people would buy it!
Post some new pics of Mary soon. I miss you!

A-dogg